The first rule is:
"1. Don't post offensive content.
Material that is deemed obscene or offensive is not permitted. Use common sense; we want to able to show this site to our kids."
This first rule seems to be consistent in most forums; it also goes right to the heart of digital citizenship. For a forum to exist successfully and peacefully, the moderators of the forum must require members to refrain from offensive comments. Staying true to the simplicity of running, the moderators remind the members to use their "common sense", to not post something they wouldn't want a kid to see.
The second rule of the forum also supports digital citizenship by prohibiting "personal attacks". The moderators go so far as to inform members that the terms "stupid" and "idiot" will be considered personal attacks. This demonstrates to members that it is safe to assume anything worse will also be seen as an attack. Once again, it is clear the moderators are doing their best to ensure good digital citizenship and keep the forums peaceful and helpful, rather than offensive.
The most entertaining rule included was the sixth and final rule, "Don't be a troll". By this the moderators mean, "Accounts created for the purpose of being intentionally disruptive will be banned".
I personally had never even thought that people might consider doing this. Clearly the moderators have experience handling a forum of this size and are aware of all sorts of interruptions to good digital citizenship.
The moderators also empower their members with the responsibility to maintain the digital citizenship. They conclude the list of rules stating: "The moderators cannot possibly review every piece of content. If you see something that violates the rules, please report it, and the moderators will take appropriate action." The moderators are essentially telling their members that if they want the forum to remain a positive place, they should be responsible for reporting bad citizenship.
I found that analyzing the rules was an excellent way to see how the moderators of the forum handled digital citizenship. However, as the term goes on, I will have the chance to see if these rules are followed and if the digital citizenship promoted in these rules is maintained.
After reading both of your blog entries I am excited to continue learning more of what you come across in the forum. I too read the other blogs that mentioned their forum had questions before signing up which really sparked my interest. I appreciate the way you explain what your forum consists of. The first thing I thought when reading this weeks blog was how great of digital citizenship your forum displays, then when I kept reading you began to talk about digital citizenship. It's interesting to hear the your forum post these clearly influenced digital citizenship rules, in fact it makes sense and makes me wonder why all forums don't post general citizenship rules. I will be interested in hearing the different things you find in your forum and if the people who are part of your forum abide by the digital citizenship rules provided.
ReplyDeleteI love that you mentioned that many of the forums seem to take on characteristics of the particular interest that they are centered around. That is something that I have observed as well. I find it so interesting that your forum has rules for its members to follow. That is such an excellent way to encourage positive digital citizenship. I wonder if all members read through the rules? Is it part of the registration process? As you continue to blog about this forum, I am interested to hear if people are abiding by these rules in their postings.
ReplyDeleteI love that you did your research first before diving right in! Unlike me, this is all too new to me- forums, blogs, tweets. I noticed that there were rules in my forum as well. It helps a great deal that the moderators have control of their forum and their members. I can't believe that there are "trolls" are out there either. I barely have enough time to check my email let alone different forums. Hopefully, I'll find more time on my hands to really engage in my forum because it actually is very informative, which I'm sure yours is as well.
ReplyDelete