Once I chose my thread, I posted the following reply:
"Hey everyone, I love the advice about10K running. I have not ran a 10K in over a year but I have taken the plunge and signed up for one on Dec 22. Any advice for last minute training? I have about 3 weeks left to get ready and I appreciate any suggestions!"
I hoped that my general post would spark any number of responses, and I genuinely hoped I might get some advice from these runners who seem far more advanced than myself. After 6 days I am somewhat disappointed to report that the only response I received was the following:
"Sorry! No advice here. I'm training for my first! I guess my only advice would be to race where your fitness is now."
While I appreciated the honesty and the fact that anyone replied, I was amazed at the limited response. I was especially surprised that the person who started the thread, and who is quite active in the thread, did not respond to me in any way. Since my post on Sunday, several other members have posted unrelated responses, to which the starter of the thread and many other members have responded. What I believe I have found is that within this particular thread, the elite runners seem to be, while not hostile, a bit cliquish. Many of these members post every day, sometimes even several times a day. They are in the "inner circle" of the thread, and the forum in general possibly. I however, am a new member, who many of them do not feel the need to engage in conversation. However, I am hopeful that in another section and thread I may find better luck. There is a whole section of the forum for beginners, which is where I think I will make my next post. It was interesting to observe that what may appear like good digital citizenship, may be more exclusive than you might think.
I'm excited you took the plunge and posted in your forum. It's a bummer you didn't get an useful responses. I responded in one of my forums and received no responses, but I think in my case it has to do with me trying to stay neutral, some of these TV communities are brutal. I like your idea of posting on a thread instead of creating you own separate post. I think I will try that when I start posting more frequently to see if I have better luck. It's funny to hear that people who are more experienced runners post quite frequently but since you are a newbie it may contribute to the reason they don't respond. I think its sad to think that even on an online forum we find clicks. I think you are on the right track and I will be interested to see what you find in the beginning runners forum and see if you get any hits in that community.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that you received minimal feedback to your response when responses after yours received much more attention. I also posted in my forum this week and I did not receive any feedback. I think your observation of active forum members being cliquish is spot on. This is something that I have noticed in my forum as well. I am interested to see what you find in the beginning runners forum and if you receive more feedback from forum members who are new to the online community.
ReplyDelete