Sunday, January 5, 2014

Finally! Some Responses to My Post!

This past week I posted into my running forum in the beginner section, but this time I started my very own thread. I had recently started back up taking spinning classes and I decided to pose a question to my fellow runners about the helpfulness of spinning in training for races. My post read:

Happy New Year Everyone!
I have recently started going to spinning classes again and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts or suggestions about how well spinning fits into training for races? I am planning to do Ragnar in the spring and want to start my training plan and I'm hopeful that spinning can fit into the plan in some form. Any suggestions?
This post went up on Thursday, Jan 2nd and as of Sunday Jan 5th I received 6 responses! (Although all of these occurred on the 2nd, it seems posts on this forum have a short shelf life)
I was very pleased by the range of responses I received and I am happy to report that each one showed positive digital citizenship. Most of the responses were personal testimonies about other runners' experiences with spinning classes or cycling in general. For instance, one member responded:
Spinning is good because it adds an aerobic element to your workout, without the impact of running.  I spin as a warm up on my weight-training days, and find it helps tremendously with fitness and weight management.
Posts like this ranged from those who do use spin, to those who don't but have in the past. In fact, I also received a response from a fellow runner that is trying spinning out like I am. He wrote:
I'm trying to get into spinning but not sure it'll stick.  Even after having the bike adjusted to fit me, I found it bothered an old back injury.  Riding my bike outside doesn't seem to cause it I might have to keep messing around with the settings.  I also found it to be boring even tho there was plenty of activity going on in the class.  I figure I'll try it a couple of more times before I throw in the towel.  Worst case I'll just ride my bike outside.
His honesty about his own experiences with spin were helpful, and different than my own (I loooove spin!), but he still remained respectful and demonstrated positive digital citizenship. It was nice to see a range of opinions, and also that other runners are trying similar methods to my own. Finally, I received a response that cited an expert resource. One of the members responded:
The first edition of Run Less Run Faster recommended spinning for the non-running cross-train days.  The authors also recommended maintaining at least 90 revolutions a minute.
This member relied on the advice of professionals, rather than just on personal experience. This response was especially helpful in validating my question about spin as a form of training. 
I am glad to see that I have found a way to receive responses in the community. Questions to community members clearly need to be posted separately to receive attention, since it seems that most members only respond to the first post, rather than the posts of other responders. I am also pleased to have experienced very strong digital citizenship from my fellow runners in my first solo post. Maybe this forum thing will be something I keep doing, we shall see!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are really getting some good feedback on your posts. I'm very impressed. I think this portion of our class is pretty cool because we are being allowed to explore something that completely interests us, which is like no other assignment I have had the opportunity to do so. You seem to have had a good experience with digital citizenship, maybe it's because it's a runners forum. Everyone seems willing to help each other out and see one another succeed in their goals. I'm interested to see your overall experience with the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I am so impressed at the feedback that you received in your thread. It is awesome that the members who responded to your post were so encouraging and truly demonstrated positive digital citizenship. I have found the conversations taking place in your forum especially encouraging because all the member in your forum are actively participating in an activity that they love and because of that they are able to offer advice and support to other members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also noticed that posts can have a very short life span. Sometimes nobody will respond to a post, a week or two later someone will respond to it and all of a sudden the thread is alive and well again and a bunch of different people are responding to it. That is just the way it goes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete