Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Joining Runner's World
For my investigation into the world of digital citizenship in forums, I chose one of my healthier hobbies: running. Two of my favorite forms of exercise are running and yoga, and while I considered joining a yoga forum, I doubted that there could ever be anything less than zen-like attitudes on the forum. However, runners tend to develop strong opinions about their strategies, eating habits, schedules, you name it. For this reason, I thought that a runner's forum may have some interesting moments of digital citizenship to observe. As the runners share their opinions and personal experiences, it will be interesting to see if interactions remain civil.
Another reason I felt a running forum would be a great place to join for this occasion is purely selfish: I hope it inspires me to run even more often, and more successfully. While in high school I played softball and I absolutely hated running any further than around the softball diamond. Once in college in beautiful San Diego, I came around and began to love running. One of my best friends and I frequently enter races, ranging from 5ks-10ks (and sometimes involving mud and obstacles). My goal is to run a half marathon in the near future ( who knows what the definition of "near" will be). However, even in my initial viewing of the forum, I am beginning to feel the motivation.
In my everyday life at school, with family and with friends, the topic of running does not come up often. Even with my running buddy, our conversations about running generally consist of complaining we are too busy to run as much as we should. While I admit at first I did not see the value of an online forum, I already am enjoying receiving free advice from avid runners who have a level of passion for this activity that I hope to develop. The Runner's World forum (found at: http://community.runnersworld.com) has communities specific to beginners, women, masters, and those interested in team-running. It also is divided by topic into sections like "5K to Half Marathon". "Marathon", "Triathlon", "Trail Running" , "Barefoot Running", "Nutrition and Weight Loss", "Health and Injury", and several others. The forum seems to have very active participation, with some community members posting every day to various threads.
So far I have browsed several threads, but I spent quite a bit of time reading a thread focused on achieving a 10K time under 45min, a far off but possible goal of my own. I observed quite a bit of positive rapport between the community members on this thread. People were very encouraging of others, mildly suggesting ways to improve times. The only comment that may have lacked positivity was a question of whether or not some of those suggesting longer workouts ever sleep, to which another member replied "Sleep is for the weak". However, this minor teasing seemed to be in good fun, and was followed with further encouragement. I was also impressed by a trend among community members: They post their personal records, "PRs", in their signature of each comment. I suppose this serves as an indicator of where each member is in their running ability or commitment. I will admit that I am already truly enjoying reading more about running strategies and workouts and feel I have quite a few new ideas to go try out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading your blog, I think a running forum seems perfect for you. I give you props for being an avid runner, as I have a very difficult time with running and always have. I love yoga, that is more my pace, but I could definitely see why you would think these forums may be a bit too mellow. I like how much thought you put behind what forum to choose and I could greatly see how a running forum would have a bit more controversy that that of yoga. I look forward to see what you find in these forum and the information they provide! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jessica. This forum seems like a perfect fit for you and I respect your dedication to running. I developed a love for running in college as well, but I find it so hard to find the time to run now that I have a full time job. Any suggestions for making time to be healthy? I am excited to hear about your finding in this forum and how the information inspires your hobby!
ReplyDeleteKatie, finding time to run is the hardest part! Especially after long days of teaching and working on the masters, a run isn't always the most enticing activity. I am hopeful the forum will inspire me more. I will admit my one secret, if I am watching something on TV that I know I can go watch at the gym I will tell myself to go watch while on the treadmill at least.
DeleteVery interesting choice! Unlike you, running and I don't agree. I was never interested in running. As a matter of fact, in the jr high during the PE fitness test, I decided to finish the mile test in 14 minutes. I never understood why I couldn't find a like to it until recently. I'm asthmatic and claustrophobic. When I run or do any strenuous activity, I feel like my whole chest is closing in on me! I know it's a mental thing and with pacing, I could overcome this; however, I haven't made the time or effort to do it. I greatly admire you and all who run! One day I pray that God will give me the strength to conquer my fears and run! I'm anxious to hear more about your running forum!
ReplyDeleteHi Shirley, my only suggestion is to remember, unlike PE, as adult we no longer have anyone yelling at us to keep going. I also used to hate running but I found a strategy that worked for me: Run for a bit, and then when you feel like you can't, start walking. You may walk more than you run, but it doesn't matter--it's all cardio! Eventually you will find you are running more than you walk, thats how I got started at least.
DeletePlease excuse the Name provided for me. I don't know how to change it lol! That's my nickname. This is Shirley Manglona
ReplyDelete